October 2, 2014

1890 REVIEW

Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper
November 1, 1890

THE MONTAUK CLUB, BROOKLYN

We give on this page an illustration of the new club-house of the Montauk Club of Brooklyn, which in a very short time has become one of the representative social clubs of that city. The building is located on one of the highest points of Prospect Heights, and is in every respect admirably adapted to the uses to which it is to be put. It is four stories high, with basement, and is constructed in the richest style of Venetian architecture.

The first floor has a reception-room, library, and reading-room, a café and morning-room, all reached from the main hall and communicating. On the second floor are the billiard and card rooms, together with the director’s room; while on the third is the main dining-room, the ladies’ dining-room, and the ladies’ parlor. This provision for ladies is a new and promises to be a very popular feature. The ladies’ entrance connects with all the rooms directly, both by staircase and elevator, without passing through any of the halls of the club proper. It is the purpose of the members of the club that their wives and daughters shall share with them all the enjoyments and pleasures which membership in the Montauk is expected to afford, and in this respect they set a very proper and commendable example. The dining-rooms can be thrown together and tables extended the full length of this room and across the plaza end, when two hundred can be comfortably entertained. On the fourth floor are sleeping apartments with bath and toilet rooms. Entirely cut off by fire-proof partitions from other rooms on this floor is the kitchen, which, with its storage and cool rooms, is in communication by means of dummy waiters with the serving-rooms on the floor below. On the upper floor, in the roof, are the laundry and steward’s quarters. A grand balcony will extend around the building at the fourth story level, and underneath this will be a frieze, two and a half feet in width, consisting of a panorama in red and yellow terra-cotta, illustrative of the progress of American civilization. It is the opinion of all who have inspected the new building and examined its interior, that the building committee is entitled to the very heartiest praise for the excellent taste and good judgment which have been displayed in al the arrangements. This committee is composed of J. Rogers Maxwell, Chairman, Leonard Moody, Edward I. Horsman, Rufus T. Griggs, and Albro J. Newton.

We hazard nothing in predicting that the Montauk Club will become a most influential factor in the social life of our sister city.